Saturday, February 4, 2012

DIY Wedding Programs

So, I got married almost 9 months ago, did some amazing DIY things for my wedding, and was so exhausted by the time I finished, I never shared any of them. So my next posts will primarily be all things wedding.

Today I thought I'd start with my wedding programs! First off, here's what they looked like!


*** photo credit goes to julie branyan photography. She's awesome. Check out her site!

I got the idea for these when I saw something similar in an Etsy listing and thought, I can make that... so I did. I didn't want to buy them from the seller  because they cost $3 a pop! I have to admit, it was a pain getting the photoshop document perfect, but I'm going to save you that hassle and give you my photoshop files!


There are three files you'll need to make. Page one contains the names of the bride and groom and the date of the wedding. Therefore, the only thing you'll need to change on the photoshop file is the bride and grooms name.



Page 2 contains information about the bridal party and parents, therefore all names and titles will be needed to change this! Page 2 file here.




Finally, the front of page 3 contains information about the ceremony so again, it's a complete overhall of information on it.



The back of page 3 is our 'thank you' for attending and our 'signature'. Page 3 front and back files here.


Once you've edited the photoshop files, you'll need to print them! I cut the card stock before I printed - MADE IT A LOT EASIER! For the white page (page 1) the size should be 4" tall by 4.5 inches wide. The ivory page needs to be 4" tall by 5" wide, and the final page is 4" tall by 5.5 inches wide. (so the total dimensions when it's assembled is 4" by 5.5"). I used my making memories paper trimmer!


I would highly recommend cutting the paper before you print because when you're printing on an ink jet it can get crooked. I used the same paper for my invitations, menus and programs and I bought it in bulk here. The three colors I used were: brilliant white, ivory and gray (in that order for first page to last page). It cost about $100 but I used the 250 pages for my menus, programs, place cards and invitations so it was an excellent deal. Also, I ran low at one point and found out I could buy it by the sheet at FedEx/ Kinkos. It's more expensive, but if you only need a few sheets, it's a good way to go (I think it was 15 cents a sheet).

After you've cut the pages down to size, print them out! Remember, page 3 is two sided so make sure you put the paper in the right way to print the back side (you may need a couple extra sheets for errors, I messed this up SEVERAL times!). I bought a new printer because mine was old, and it worked wonders! It is an Epson Workforce 600. I picked it up at Sam's club for <$90.



Now that they're printed, it's time to assemble!



Supply list needed for assembly: 


Eyelets/ Grommets


Crop-A-Dile (or other eyelet setter) This thing both punches the appropriate sized whole AND sets your eyelet. I will warn you - after doing about 20 of these your hand will hurt!



The Assembly:


Fist things first, align the three pages together and adjust the crop a dile puncher to where you'd like to put your whole (I did it about 1/2" from the top and 1/2" from the left). Punch it! Place grommet in whole. Use Crop-a-dile to set grommet and viola! 1 Program down, lots to go!

Here's the front:



And the back:






15 comments:

  1. Love these!! Please tell me how I can edit these to use for my own programs???? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelsey! Glad you like them (I'm like them too lol). You need photoshop to edit the text files located above as links to page 1, page 2 and page 3. If you don't have photoshop, no worries, you can download the 30 day free trial at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop

      Trust me, it's worth it :). Let me know if you need any help.

      Delete
  2. Hello! You were able to print on 80lb card stock with your regular printer? I feel as though mine gets ink spots on it and I have the same printer as you. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michelle! I was able to print them with no problem, but ours was brand-spanking-new at the time. I'd try cleaning your print head - you can check out page 37 of the print manual here: http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/wf600_/wf600_qr.pdf

      You should be able to do it easily, just make sure you have fresh ink and a clean head :).

      Delete
  3. Hi Scarlett,

    Will any inkjet printer work? I have an HP Desk Jet 4100 and I'm wondering if I'll be able to print on 80lb card stock with this printer.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should. I printed mine on a inkjet printer. I'd definitely do a few test runs though first :). Let me know how it works out!

      Delete
    2. ** it's the purple text above in the post where it says 'page 1' etc. :).

      Delete
  4. do you have any templates of this.can you send it to my email. tfelisilda@gmail.com I really like it. thnak you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue Shelly- thanks for the comment. the files are actually embedded above in the post. Please let me know if you have any issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your programs, and just tried to make a sample one to see if I could do it. Please help! I have no idea how to use photoshop, and I've only gotten as far as changing the text, but I have no idea how to change the color of the text. Also, how do you print when you've already cut the paper? And, do you use grommets or eyelets?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool! Is there any reason that you chose not to use the eyelets that came from the same company?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana-

    I'd suggest googling photoshop help on the web. There are a lot of useful resources out there. It's difficult to type out how to do it, but there are a lot of tutorials already out there.

    I tried printing then cutting, but found it was easier first to cut then print because sometime it doesn't print 100% straight which makes cutting a big pain. Please add photos once you get it printed out! I'd love to see them!

    I used eyelets when I did it,but I'm sure you could use either.

    Unknown ;) - I'm not sure why i didn't get the eyelets from Paper source. I'm sure they're great, just got mine at Michaels instead.

    I'll be posting some more DIY stuff soon. My sister's getting married and I'm the MOH :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping you figured out how to download the attachments. I just tried and I was able to by clicking on the Page 1, page 2 and page 3 links above and opening it in photoshop. Please let me know if you're still having difficulties.

      Delete