Saturday, February 4, 2012

DIY Doily Bags




I made these bags for my bridesmaids.

To make these, you will need:
- black craft paint  ~$1 and I have a ton left over
-small paint brush
- totes I got from Hobby Lobby for ~ $3 a pop (get them when they're 50% off)
-paper doilies (12") ~ $4
-spray glue (I used elmers)

So to make these spray the back of the paper doily with the elmers glue and place on the bag (be careful, because wherever you put it is where it will stay!) Once it's in place, use a paintbrush to paint all of the holes on the doily.


Let DRY!

So, I'm not artistic, so to do the letter, I printed out a large letter on card stock paper and used a exacto knife to cut it out. Then I repeated the procedure of the spray glue and paint. That's it, it's that simple.

I included jcrew flip flops, earrings, and a bridesmaid survival kits in the bag that included pocket shots (an amazing find!) mints, and a whole bunch of beauty supplies. They loved them! Of course, I made one for myself too :).
FYI: Pocket shots are a must for the bags... especially if your BM's dresses have pockets (like mine did)!

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea for the pocket shots! Can you get them at BevMo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure - but you can check who carries them under 'locations' here: www.pocketshot.net

      Delete
  2. Was trying to make these for my bridesmaides kinda doing the same concept, but wondering if you take the doily off after you paint it? and if so, you glued it to the bag how do you get it off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Elmer's Craft bond multi-purpose spray adhesive (http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Craft-Multi-Purpose-Spray-Adhesive-4/dp/B008GNPMZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348089537&sr=8-1&keywords=Elmer%27s+Craft+bond+multi-purpose+spray+adhesive)

    I sprayed it on the doilies (watch out it WILL stick to your fingers and it's very messy, so put newspaper down), put the doilies glue side down on the bags, let it dry and then painted it. Once the paint dried, I pulled off the doilies. The glue is strong enough to hold it down, but not too strong so the doilies easily come off when pulled (and in one piece too). Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete