Tuesday, May 8, 2012

DIY Burp Cloths!

SO... It's been a CRAZY few months... My husband and I have been looking for a house to buy the last two months and we finally found one! The inspection is this Thursday and we close late June. We're SO excited! Also, the end of the semester was last week which means I've been CRAZY busy with grading final reports, grading exams, responding to student emails that complain about their grades etc etc. So, hence why I haven't written any blog posts lately. BUT, I have been doing some pretty awesome stuff, so here's my shot at showing you all what I've been up to in my 'spare' time :).

I'm a huge fan of Pinterest and get a lot of my inspiration from this craft from there.  Well, I saw some really cute polka dot burp clothes on the crafty-couple blog the other day and we just happened to have THREE nieces join the family in the last 3 months, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I bought all of my fabric on fabric.com and couldn't pick three so I went a bit overboard. Turns out any pregnant friends and family members in the next 5 years will likely be getting these from me ;). Here's the fabric I picked out - I ordered a 1/2 yard of each of the dots and 3 yards of the terry cloth.



I looked up some sizes of burp clothes and finally settled on a final size of 12" by 17.5" (conveniently 1/2 a yard of fabric because I was too lazy to cut it again ;). The nice thing is the dot fabric REALLY helps make sure your line is straight - so make sure you to square it out before you cut. No one likes a diagonal polka dot! Once the polka dot fabric was cut, I lined it up with the terry cloth fabric and voila - we're ready to sew. 

  


So, the 'correct' way to do this is to pin the fabric together (polka dot side down against the terry cloth) and then sew... but I'm a bit too lazy, so I skipped that step and just sewed carefully. I did a 1/4" inseam on each side leaving one of the short sides with NO STITCHING, I think flipped it right side out (it's starting to look cute!).

I then went around with 1/4" inseam on all sides and voila again - the cutest, polka dot burp clothes you've ever seen. 


I put a cute bow on it and... well, we'll see what my sister-in-law thinks of them next weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment